Specialist in Japanese Immigration


Highly Talented Foreigner: Pointing System

From May 7, 2012, if you are recognized as a highly talented foreigner, you can enjoy some immigration privilleges. Let me explain briefly this new system.

Areas of Activities Concerned

There are three categories:

  • 1. Highly Talented Researcher
    Activities of the visa category of "Professor" or "Researcher".
  • 2. Highly Talented Employee
    Activities of the visa category of "Engineer" or "Specialist in Humanities/International Services"
  • 3. Highly Talented Business Manager
    Activities of the visa category of "Investor/Business Manager" or "Legal/Accounting Services" (Partners or Managers only).

Who are Qualified?

First of all, download the pointing calculation excel spread sheet from here.
If you have 70 points or more, you are qualified as highly talented foreigner.

  • 1. Select the type of activities
  • 2. Select your educational background.
  • 3. Type the number of years of work experience (only for the activities related to the type of category you selected).
  • 4. Type your age.
  • 5. Type your annual gross income.
  • 6. Japanese Degree: Select "Yes" if you graduated the Japanese university or graduate school and obtaineda degree.
  • 7 Japanese Language: Select "Qualified" if you passed the Japanese language qualification exam or majored in Japanese language in the university or graduate school.
  • 8. Research Achievements: Select "Yes" in any of the following cases.
    • Obtained one or more patents.
    • Engaged in at least three research activities subsidized by the foreign government.
    • Wrote at least three theses which are recorded in the academic thesis data base as a main author.
    • Had the research activities similar to the above and approved by the Ministry of Justice.
  • 9. Type the number of the Japanese national qualification you obtained in technological field.
  • 10. Select your position in the organization.
  • 11. Select "Yes" if the organization you work receives the government subsidy regarding innovation promotion.

Do you have 70 points or more?

How to Get the Highly Talented Foreigner Visa Status?

If you are to apply for a new Japanese working visa, apply for the pointing recoginition at the time of applying for Certificate of Eligibility of your working visa.

If you are already in Japan with an appropriate working visa, apply for the pointing recognition and change your visa status to the highly talented foreigner (designated activities).

If you are in Japan with a non-working visa, you need to apply for Certificate of Eligibility just as you apply for a new Japanese working visa.

What are the Privilleges?

There are mainly 5 privilleges you can enjoy.

Broader Activities

You can be engaged in plural activities. For example, being a researcher in the organization, you can start up your own business related to what you research without extra permission from the immigration.

Faster to Get the Permanent Visa Status

You will always be granted the longest visa, and you can be eligible to get the permanent visa status if you stay in Japan for 5 years instead of 10 years. You do not need to prove the contribution to Japan either.

Spouse can Work

Even if your spouse are not qualified for working visa (such as lacking educational background, working experience, etc), she/he can work full-time.

You can bring your Parent

If you raise a child under 3 years old, you can bring one your parents or your spouse parents who live together in Japan.
However, you annual income should be 10 million yen or higher.

You can employ a Nanny

If you have a child under 13 years old and your annual income is 15 million yen or higher, you can employ a nanny.
However, you have to pay at least 200,000 yen per month to the nanny.

powered by Quick Homepage Maker 5.0
based on PukiWiki 1.4.7 License is GPL. QHM

最新の更新 RSS  Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional